The Importance of Vaccinations
Posted on Apr 06, 2016 , 0 comments
Part of taking care of your pet’s Mind, Body, and Bowl is implementing a solid preventative care program. That’s why we have partnered with VIP Petcare to offer weekly fully licensed veterinary services at all of our stores. One of the most important parts of pet ownership is making sure your pet is vaccinated. We’ve put together this handy guide to answer any questions you have about vaccinations and why they are important for your pet’s long term health.
- Pet vaccinations protect against contagious and deadly diseases such as rabies, canine parvovirus, canine distemper, canine bordetella, feline leukemia, feline panleukopenia and other serious diseases.
- Pet vaccinations are required by law in Los Angeles and Orange County. All dogs four months or older are required to be vaccinated for rabies. We also recommend that cats be vaccinated for rabies as well. It’s also required that pets are given a second vaccination one year after the primary vaccination along with three scheduled booster shots.
Vaccinations and Health Risks
- Some pet owners are worried of potential health risks associated with pet vaccinations. Any medical procedure, including pet vaccinations, carries some degree of risk, but the risk of catching and spreading a harmful disease is much greater than any risk associated with opting out of vaccinations. Negative reactions to vaccinations are rare.
Vaccinations and Healthy Spot
- If you want to use our doggie daycare or grooming services, we require that your dogs are up-to-date with all their vaccinations as a way to protect other pets and our employees. In order to use our services we require that all dogs six months and older have the following vaccinations: rabies, bordetella, distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza and parvovirus. Dogs younger than six months without vaccinations can use our services if a veterinarian has approved it. There are other exceptions as well, give your local Healthy Spot a call to talk through our vaccination requirements.
- Pet vaccinations are available at all Healthy Spot locations through VIP Petcare’s weekend mobile clinics. VIP Petcare’s fully licensed veterinary animal care services not only include vaccinations, but also microchipping, flea control, tick control, heartworm prevention, heartworm testing and deworming. Click here for a list of clinic dates, locations and times.