At Healthy Spot, we believe that Health Equals Happiness. That is why we put the wellbeing of your pets above all else. Over the past month, there’s been a deepening concern about the spread of Leptospirosis and Canine Influenza, within the Southern California pet community.
Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that can affect both humans and animals. According to the CDC, the disease is spread through urine or other bodily fluids of an infected animal. Contact with water, soil or food that has been contaminated with the urine can lead to the spread as well. Canine Influenza is a respiratory disease in dogs that is highly contagious. The CDC states that this disease is spread through droplets from an infected dog or contaminated objects that have been in contact with the infected dog.
According to the LA County Department of Public Health, there have been 80 confirmed cases of Leptospirosis in dogs. This accounts for about 0.003% of dogs in Los Angeles County. To continue to track the case numbers, please click here.
Understandably, the recent increase of confirmed cases is concerning, so we wanted to take a moment to reiterate our safety practices to offer pet parents peace of mind while visiting our stores and leaving your pet in our care:
- We use cleaning products that are specifically designed to kill animal diseases.
- Urine and feces are cleaned up immediately to prevent the spread of bacteria.
- Water bowls are refreshed frequently throughout the day.
Grooming Salon Protocols:
- Healthy and safety checks are performed for each dog in our care to check for any signs of illness. Should a pet exude any signs of illness, they are sent home from our care.
- Dogs have zero interaction with other dogs.
- Kennels are cleaned between each dog.
- Water bowls are washed between each dog.
- Health and safety checks are performed for each dog in our care to check for any signs of illness. Should a pet exude any signs of illness, they are sent home from our care.
- We only use artificial turf rather than sod or soil, which can harbor disease. Our turf is frequently cleaned throughout the day, each night and deep-cleaned multiple times per week.
- All floors and surfaces are disinfected daily.
- Dog beds are washed daily.
- Play structures are disinfected daily.
If you have questions about whether or not your pet should receive a vaccine for either disease, please consult with your veterinarian.
For any additional questions about our safety practices, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.