[powr-popup id=8fe1a920_1504204184]

Harmful foods to keep away from your Pups

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 , 0 comments

Pet lovers, we know you have delicious goodies all over the house – but some of these can be very hazardous to our beloved canines. To ensure the safety and health of your dogs, here is a list of things you should be sure to keep AWAY from your pet. Check out the following No No's: Chocolate. Chocolate IS toxic. Luckily, this fact has become common knowledge. That said, it’s still quite common for excited dogs to get into bags of chocolate by mistake. Left over from the holidays, left in a grocery bag on the floor; be sure to keep this chocolate far from your dog’s reach. Store extra snacks and junk goodies in your cabinets, out of sight, and out of your pup’s mind. hazardous dog food   Bones. Bones from leftover meals are NOT MEANT for dogs. Whether you just had a plate of fish or chicken, these bones can become choking hazards for your dog - so be sure to keep them away! Just one little bone mistakenly lodged in your dog’s throat can be threatening. Even bones and chews that are meant for pups can, on extremely rare occasions, become potential choking hazards. We believe the best way for your pup to safely gnaw in peace is when you can be there to supervise.   Grapes. Grapes? Yes. Grapes can be very dangerous for our dogs. Ingesting grapes can cause kidney failure, and should be avoided at all costs. Some things that are perfectly safe for humans are just plain no-no’s for our four-footed friends. This includes raisins. Macadamia Nuts. It’s best to avoid feeding your pups raw nuts of any kind. Macadamia nuts, in particular, have been proven to be fatal or cause paralysis. Peanut butter is a common treat however, and is perfectly fine and safe. Marijuana. We’ve heard many stories about dogs getting into their owner’s share of marijuana.  This can be very dangerous. The symptoms from marijuana intoxication are severe and range from damaging the nervous system, pupil dilation, coma, and in some cases death.  dog food safetyAlcohol. Dogs are smaller than humans and their tolerance to alcohol is minimal compared to ours. A little alcohol can do far more damage than you think, such as coma, nervous system damage, breathing trouble, vomiting, and diarrhea. It can be appealing to train a dog to fetch you a beer, as long as you don’t let him drink it. Pesticides, Fertilizers, Traps. This includes snail bait. The symptoms of toxic pesticide or fertilizer poisoning are devastating. Dogs have been reported to have uncontrollable seizures and can be in extreme, uncontrollable pain. The only way to ensure that gardening elements don’t threaten your pup’s health is to fence off areas you wouldn’t want your dog getting into by mistake. Guacamole and Avocado. We love guacamole, but it’s on the list for pups to avoid. Avocados contain persin, which, in large amounts, can be toxic to your dog. Garlic and Onions. While incredibly healthy for human consumption, it is highly discouraged to give dogs any type of garlic or onion. They contain sulfoxides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Fruit Pits. Peaches and plum pits when swallowed can obstruct your dog’s esophagus/digestive tract. Tobacco. If your pup gets a hold of cigarettes, nicotine can cause symptoms such as coma, rapid heartbeat, and in severe cases, death. Gum, Candy, Sugary Junk.  “Xylitol,” which is found in many gums and candy can cause low blood sugar for our dogs, resulting in vomiting, collapsing, and liver failure in severe cases. Decorations, Trinkets, Gifts. Though your pups may be used to their surroundings, new things might catch their playful curiosity in a random spur of the moment. If these shiny things aren’t meant as dog toys, they should be kept out of your dog’s reach. Table Scraps. We’ve all been there. But don’t give in. The food we eat is meant for us, not for our dogs. We always recommend to let friends, family, and any kids who engage with your pup know about pet safety, especially when it comes to food. Educate them about pet stomach sensitivity and ask them not to give your dog any table scraps, regardless of how sweet their begging puppy dog eyes can be. Pay Attention
- At Healthy Spot, we suggest that you take precautions. Keep all human food items sealed and locked. If possible, put these foods up and away in cabinets or inside refrigerators rather than readily accessible for your dog. If you do start to notice anything strange about your dog’s behavior, don’t ignore it. Ask yourself: Is he more lethargic than usual? Is he vomiting? Having diarrhea? Shaking? Whimpering? These are a few tell-tale signs that your dog might have consumed something he shouldn’t have. If any of these signs are severe enough that you feel concerned, don’t hesitate to take your dog to the vet. As an added precaution, make sure you have the address and phone number to the closest animal emergency hospital readily available - just in case something should happen to your dog in the middle of the night when your vet isn’t on call.

Leave a comment

Comments have to be approved before showing up

premium quality
you can trust

your pet’s health
is what matters to us

pet experts
at your service